Newton County Municipalities
Formed out of parts of Jasper, Walton, and Henry counties in 1821, Newton County was named for Sergeant John Newton, a Revolutionary War Soldier. Its county seat was first named Newtonsborough but was changed within a year to Covington in honor of General Leonidas Covington, a hero of the War of 1812. Learn more about Newton County.
Founded in 1822, Covington first had two courthouses in the center of the square. The third, built in 1856 was located on one side of the square. It, along with that whole side of the square, burned on Dec. 31, 1883. The present courthouse, completed in 1885, is in the Second Empire Style and is listed in the National Register of Historical Places.
Covington's nickname is 'The Hollywood of the South'. It has been a popular filming site for television shows and movies, including The Dukes of Hazzard, Cannonball Run, The Vampire Diaries, In the Heat of the Night, The Odd Life of Timothy Green, Remeber the Titans, My Cousin Vinny, and The Walking Dead.
Newton County Courthouse Image Courtsey of J Stephen Conn (CC BY-NC 2.0)
Oxford was formed in 1837 as a support community for Emory College. The town was owned by the trustees of the college and planned for the college students to have a cultured and Christian environment. Most of the residents were professors at the college and many students boarded with the citizenry. The campus and town remain picturesque today.
The Oxford Cemetery was know as the "Westmister of Georgia Methodism" and was part of the original town plan. Eight presidents of Emory College have been laid to rest here, including three that became Bishops in the Methodist Church. The cemetary is popular tourist destination. Learn more about Oxford Georgia.
Newborn, first known as Cross Road or Sandtown, was settled around 1819 in what was then Jasper County by Rufus Broom of North Carolina and Warren County.
Known as a center of education, it was the home of Palmyra Institute from the early 1860s until 1909 when its building became the local high school. It functions today as a Community Center.
Porterdale grew out of a small community called Cedar Shoals along the banks of the Yellow River. In 1831 Noah Phillips from Connecticut and his brother-in-law John Persall erected a factory for the carding of wool and cotton. This company evolved into Porterdale Mills (then into Bibb Manufacturing) which became the largest twine manufacturer in the world.
The town was incorporated as Porterdale in 1917. The Porter family were benefactors to the mill town community. The old mill building houses residential and retail space today. Learn more about the history of Porterdale.
Mansfield was formed in the late 1800s to support agriculture in the area and its prosperity was boosted by the Middle Georgia and Atlantic Railroad which ran through it. The original bell from the 1908 schoolhouse is on display at the present-day Mansfield Elementary School.
It was recognized as the largest cottonseed market in Georgia in 1909. Masfield was the home of Sherrod Smith, "Mansfield's Famous Southpaw", a distinguished Major League pitcher who played in two World Series during his twenty three year professional baseball career.